Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Oct 30, 2000  3:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: W's (WAS: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them)

Gosh, now Oi'm confused! I meant that he his 'r', as in 'reason' is
pronounced like a 'w'. Let me read that again - yes - I think that's what I
meant. On reflection the 'w' sound has a hint of 'v' in't. I flounder in
this area, for which I have so much enthusiasm and so little expertise. john

At 12:09 AM 10/28/00 +0100, you wrote:
>John Alexander Blyth wrote:
>>

>> I know someone from Leeds, with whom I was speaking only minutes ago. He
>> does this - he can't help it. It's not hugely exagerrated as in Wodney wode
>> the woyal woad, but it's there. Anecdotal vs. statistical.
>
>Hold on - I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes here: did your
>original post have a typo and intend to say that the affectation was to
>substitute the R consonant with a w, not the V, which is what it
>actually said? That would be very common indeed, but it's a speech
>impediment and a habit of children - and a source of ribald humour in
>one scene in Python's "Life of Brian" (one which I had better not
>elaborate on here) ;^)
>
>cheers,
>
>Linda

John Blyth