Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  10:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them

Cindy,

I had to go home and check titles -- here's what I use:

For German, Odom and Schollum's "German for Singers", in conjunction with a
Langenscheidt German/English dictionary. I understand that John Glenn
Paton's book is very good, too, but I haven't seen it yet.

For French, Grubb's "Singing in French", along with a Bantam New College
French/English dictionary. I heard recently that the Grubb is out of print;
if that's true, it's a shame, because it's a classic.

For a clear explanation of the IPA symbols and their use in Italian, German
and French, as well as transcriptions of basic repertoire, you can't beat
"Phonetic Readings of Songs and Arias" by Coffin, Errolle, Singer and
Delattre. And of course Nico Castel's volumes of Verdi, Mozart, Puccini,
etc. in transcription and translation are invaluable.

I also stress to students that they take care in selecting English/other
language dictionaries to make sure they choose those which use IPA, as so
many of them use some wacko non-standardized system of their own.

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York