Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  1:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rhymes in older texts, (WAS: Diction: German r...

In a message dated 10/28/2000 8:06:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:
linda@f... writes:

<< The vowel in "discover" matches whatever vowel is used in that regional
accent for guts, ugly, jumble, bug, love, mother and bubble.*

The vowel in "hover" matches the vowel in got, fondle, off, moth, swan,
John and hotpot (twice)

Then you come to the Midwest and you'll hear "gAHt, fAHndle, swAHn, jAHn,"
and "hAHtpAHt".

To my ears, "discover" and "hover" both use the same vowel sound, but then
again, that's based on what I've heard in WI. Frankly, I don't recall anyone
ever using the word "hover" in casual conversation when I was living in
DC/Baltimore, so I can't account for it there. And there are many words I
know and use in writing but have never heard or used in conversation, so
there are probably a LOT of words I mispronounce, personally.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com