Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  12:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rhymes in older texts, (WAS: Diction: German r'...

In a message dated 10/27/00 7:07:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:
linda@f... writes:

<<
Last time we did this we sang winded to rhyme with minded, fa-la-laying
(much coarse laughter there from one or two lads...) and left discover
and hover to fend for themselves, after some wit had suggested discoover
and hoover.

Linda and all on this thread, why should only one word of the pair
have undergone a shift? Isn't it more likely that the vowels from
both words shifted to some degree over time? And didn't Linda
observe that in some dialects, certain pairs are closer to rhyming
than in others?

emusic.com