Vocalist.org archive

From:  R.L.Frye@w...
R.L.Frye@w...
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  9:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Thanks for Allergy help/Humabid?

Ken,

The Humibid will definitely help to thin secretions, and
your vocal folds will thank you for it. I recognize
your concern about being on too many drugs, but this one
is by far the most benign of the ones you are on. It
has virtually no side effects with the exception that,
if you don't drink enough water with it, it will have
the opposite result of what you're looking for, and it
will dry you out.

The reason, as my ENT explained it to me, is that it
works rather like a pump, and keeps pulling the water
through your system. This is great as long as you keep
the water coming, and it will help to keep some of that
water in your mucous membranes instead of letting it all
flush out immediately. However, if you don't keep
filling the system with water, the Humibid will still
keep doing its job, and you will end up feeling
dehydrated.

If I may make a couple of other suggestions, you may
find that a nasal spray such as Pretz, or another one
with glycerine, will help to keep your nasal passages
moisturized better than a plain saline spray. The
glycerine will help to keep the moisture from
evaporating away as quickly, and it will also soothe the
tissues, something you likely need if you are dry enough
to use the spray.

Finally, you may find Ponaris Nasal Emollient to be
helpful. It contains various oils like menthol, pine,
etc., and in addition to being very soothing, I swear
that it has helped to prevent me from getting sick with
respiratory problems in the winter, although I cannot
prove that scientifically. It comes with a dropper, but
if you use that it will just run down your throat; I
find that a better way to use it is to apply it to your
nasal passages with Q-tips.

Both the Pretz and the Ponaris are over-the-counter
products.

Glad you're feeling better.

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York

> I wanted to thank all of you for the help with deciding on an allergy drug.
> I since been put on Allergra-D & Nasacort. I have also been using a saline
> nasal spray to combat the dryness. Since taking these drugs I am finding my
> singing so much easier. All I do now is gently lean into my support, & the
> voice just goes. Before I had to really push to get the sound out because of
> the stuffiness. So I thank you all for this. What a relief.
>
> Now, I still have a bit of a thick mucous problem. Would taking the Humabid
> help this? Will that be too many drugs for 1 person to be on?
>
> Best,
> Ken Ealy
> countertenor

emusic.com