Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ron Zinkel" <baritone21@h...>
"Ron Zinkel" <baritone21@h...>
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  9:10 pm
Subject:  re:ops vs pops

Hello listers,
Much of the philosophy espoused lately would probably find a more
congenial and interested audience on another news group(which I would
blissfully ignore)
I also get this list in digest form, and I find myself, once I sense
the direction of a thread, ignoring the prodigious outpourings that
fill most of the 25 messages in each digest. If these came through as
individual messages, I wouldn't remain on the list as each day's
accumulation of messages would exceed 75 0r 80!
Regarding Opera vs Pop, this past Sunday we attended La Traviata-
West Bay Opera in Palo Alto, Ca. (I sang for a brief time in the
chorus and minor roles 32 years ago)
This was a four handkerchief performance, and even though I'm a 64
year old guy, I rarely attend a performance of opera without wiping
away tears. OTOH, my memory is blank regarding any similar experience
with Pop/folk/country/jazz/baroque/medieval/countertenors/castrati
wanabees. You may say "bad memory" but my take is, if opera makes the
deep emotions of love, sadness,joy, anguish, anger and happiness real
to you, it is your life's love. Enjoy it. If opera doesn't do that
for you, Pity. Life is too short to spend inordinate amounts of time
trying to cultivate appreciation for Martinis or Tequila if you love
Manhattans or Cabernet.
Vocal Best wishes To VOCAL-list'
Ron Zinkel

emusic.com