Vocalist.org archive

From:  Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  5:59 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] cabaret

Dave, look at the real issue - your colleagues may be artistically hemmed in
by the artificial boundaries created by one movie/stage show: Cabaret,
starring Joel Grey and Liza Minelli.

Follow Karen Mercedes' advice and get them to listen or watch other
instances of "intimate venue performance" (i.e., cabaret)

Yves Montand (and Maurice Chevalier) are the most accessible of the French
singers on video. Certainly, since Yves Montand had an affair with Marilyn
Monroe (among others), his macho-ness can't be questioned. Even my mom liked
him!

Also, look for some of the American versions of the same kind of thing -
Holiday Inn provides several scenes of small-club performances; I'm sure
there are others - concentrate on Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Point out that performance is performance, and what they project to the
audience is what the audience will believe. Heck, even a drag performance
can be done in a macho style!

Paul Sinasohn
Founding Director, BankAmerica Singers
Baritone/Manager, Vocal Interchange