Vocalist.org archive

From:  radishes@r...
radishes@r...
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  4:37 pm
Subject:  Anesthesia

Hello everyone,
I had to have an emergency endoscopy the other night (to find the
source of some very nasty gastro bleeding). I've had numerous
surgeries over the past few years, but never truly considered the
long term affects of general anesthesia on the voice. I have to be
in good voice in three weeks time, so was very adament that the
anesthesiologist use ANYTHING that did not require a trachial tube.
As it happens, I'm under 18, so obviously my words held no weight
against those of my parents and my surgeon. Because the situation
was potentially dangerous (they were convinced I was going to need a
blood transfusion), I was forced to undergo general anesthesia. I'm
recovering well from the gastro bleeding, but needless to say, my
throat is REALLY hoarse. I need to be practicing constantly these
next few weeks, but can barely talk at this point in time. As I
said, I've been through surgery many times before, but have only
become very serious about my voice in the past year, so can't really
recall how quickly I recovered from the vocal irritation. Does
anyone have any input concerning how long I should wait before
delving into my regular practice regime, or anything I can take/do to
speed up the process? I don't want to cause permanent damage by
rushing the process, but I really need to be in good voice and be
familiar with my rep in a few weeks time. As always, any input is
greatly appreciated!

---Kate

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6033 Re: Anesthesia John Messmer, M.D.   Thu  10/26/2000   3 KB
6037 Re: Anesthesia Kate Reid   Thu  10/26/2000   4 KB
6106 Re: Anesthesia leskayc@a...   Sat  10/28/2000   3 KB
6107 Re: Anesthesia Kate Reid   Sun  10/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com