Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Geoffrey Yung" <geofyung@m...>
"Geoffrey Yung" <geofyung@m...>
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: About studying voice

Hi Marty,

I ain't no expert and I am also studying vocal technique at this
stage. From what you wrote, I believe you have found the real head
voice already. It's just that you don't know how to use middle voice
(or mixed voice) to connect your head voice to your chest voice. Pure
head voice is very light and probably cannot be powerful at all.

in order to get the power in your voice when singing rock music, you
have to add your chest voice to your head voice. That's what people
call a mixed voice. As you going for higher notes, you are using less
and less chest voice and gradually more and more head voice.

A few suggestions:
1) Stop "pulling chest"!
2) Stay relaxed! and make sure you are not raising your larynx when
you get to the high notes.
3) Trying start at a lower volume but imagine your voice is very
focused at a small point. Sing a scale using any "ah" or "e" vowels.
4) When you can make a smooth transition from your chest voice to
your head voice, slowly increase your volume and repeat the exercise.

There are many ways of connecting your chest voice to your head
voice. I tried out a lot and still have a little break in
the "passagio area"..

It will be nice if some experts can give us some better way on how to
eliminate the breaks and connect up the registers.

I didn't realize I got the real head voice in the beginning because
it sounds so weak and thin. When I started to blend more chest voice
into my head voice, my head voice become more powerful. That's why
finding the middle voice is very important. Once you get the middle
voice, your head voice will sound thicker..

Here are some links that maybe helpful to you:
http://www.davestroud.com
http://www.rogerlove.com

Hope it helps.

Geoffrey

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Martti Savijoki" <>
wrote:
> Hello Vocalisters, I'm a 17-year-old lad from Finland and I sing in
> rock band (not screaming though..)I've been reading this list as a
> digest member for a while. What do you think, is this the right age
> to start taking lessons?
>
> Btw, I know I'm "pulling my chest", because I don't actually know
how
> to use my head voice. Anyone knows some good exercises that would
> help finding the real head voice? Or exercises to build strength if
> head voice is the quiet sound which isn't very beautiful either and
> which I can produce up to F over tenor high C? I'm sure it's not
> falsetto, I have nice falsetto up to soprano high E (really not
very
> nice there anymore) You know, when you pull your chest voice up to
> A4/H4 your voice gets tired quite quickly...
>
> Marty Claus

http://martyclaus.i.am/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5998 Re: About studying voice Martti Savijoki   Thu  10/26/2000   2 KB
6035 Re: About studying voice Geoffrey Yung   Thu  10/26/2000   2 KB
6039 Re: About studying voice Geoffrey Yung   Thu  10/26/2000   2 KB
6051 Re: About studying voice Martti Savijoki   Fri  10/27/2000   2 KB

emusic.com