Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Oct 25, 2000  4:54 pm
Subject:  Playing piano while sitting WAS: Call for Comments

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 ccaleffie@i... wrote:
> Some opera singing colleagues and I were discussing the art of
> rehearsing and playing/accompanying for oneself. The idea was
> presented, that, if one spends a great deal of time at the piano,
> seated, while singing/rehearsing, one might develop the breathing
> muscles differently than when standing. But is this actually true?

Dear Chris,

There are some really great 88 weighted key midi pianos now that use
samples from some of the finest pianos. I have a "keyboard stand" which
allows me to play while standing. Perhaps this would be an option for
your friend?

It would probably run about $1000 for a decent set up. Of course, they
will never sound like a real Boesendorfer, but for rehearsal purposes,
they sound and feel quite good. Considering how much he plays and sings,
it may be worth the moula. It has been for me...

Hope this is helpful.

Tako

emusic.com