Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 24, 2000  12:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: The Vowel Line

In a message dated 10/24/00 7:43:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
LMorgan923@a... writes:
LMorgan923@a... writes:

<< This is a publicly funded, non-profit, tax exempt business entity.
Non-profit, tax-exempt status is granted for businesses that serve the
public
in a way which may not be commercially viable. Their entire mission is
based
on providing a service that may not be self-supporting. Therefore, this
radio station's turn to broadcasting sports is inexcusable. If there's
anything that is commercially viable and available everywhere, it's sports
coverage. THAT's why it amazed me - they completely negated their mission
statement. >>

The public radio station in Chicago often holds fund raisers to cover
themselves, as do other public stations. In this sense they do have to be
aware of the public's tastes, and unfortunately that may not include
classical vocal music. We on the list, and in general, who like this form of
singing and music are a very small minority of the public. As sad as some
might perceive that to be it is the lay of the land.

With the station you were referring to (a university station), they probably
do feel they are serving their public by broadcasting the university's games
which may not have been available elsewhere. The public likes sports and a
sporting event affiliated with the university is a legitimate use of their
airtime especially if it brings in more listeners.

emusic.com