Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 24, 2000  1:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: The Vowel Line

Randy wrote:

> That is the point, the public isn't buying ... as sad as that may be and
as
> uncomfortable as that makes us, it is most likely true. The public does
not
> like classical vocal music.

I'll tell you what I feel about opera singing: except for some arias, the
problem is the melody. Sometimes the melody is nice, but the singer gets in
the way ( Sorry, but that's what I feel ). It ends up getting really boring.
That's the reason why Boccelli, Church and Bright( without her )man( is
nothing ), and also the 3 Tenors, are so successful: they sing nice ( or
corny ) songs and arias.

On the other hand, instrumental music is much more 'neutral', and different
kinds of instrumentalists sympathize with different kinds of instruments,
but not necessarily the voice. Most instrumentalists I know don't like
singers ( in Brazil musicians call them 'canaries', because all they know is
to sing, not music. It's surely not completely true, mostly opera singers-
read the populace vs. the elite discussion ).

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com