Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  5:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: The Vowel Line

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
> Sundburg also reports that the formants 4, 5, and 6, which are not the same
> as the singer's formant, do begin to cluster together when female voices
> produce a fundamental frequency at G5 or higher. This clustering of
> formants 4, 5, and 6, in effect, becomes the equivalent of the singer's
> formant for female voices in this range.
>
> However, male voices will display a singer's formant in addition to formants
> 4, 5, and 6. Formants 4, 5, and 6 are usually rather weak in comparison to
> formants 1 and 2 (the vowel formants) and the singer's formant.

This is fascinating! I have noticed that when I switch from countertenor
to tenor, my spectrum goes from 3 clearly defined bands to a single,
thicker band. This is true even when switching on a single pitch.

The heavier mechanism that most men use has more inherent complexity,
allowing for an even distribution of pitches throughout the singers
formant range. I wonder if the spectrum for a contralto singing in full
open chest would also have the wide single band in the singers formant
range? If it does, I'd be tempted to say the root difference between the 3
and 1 band spectra are more about registration rather than sex...

Tako

emusic.com