Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  4:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: The Vowel Line

In a message dated 10/21/2000 10:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< In a short version, there are many public radio stations and they are all
playing a substantial portion of their broadcast time within the realm of
classical instrumental music. But they are, by choice and plan,
restricting the amount of vocal music they program and they are basing this
restriction on the results of polls they have conducted on the American
public

In my opinion these polls are fatally flawed and are giving the public radio
station a false message. Time will tell. >>

What astounds me about this is that live opera is, and has been for the
last five years or so, experiencing a tremendous boom in popularity all over
the country. Audiences are up and so is financial support. And yet people
don't want to hear vocal music on the radio? I have trouble reconciling
those two things.
The local public radio station here dropped the Met broadcasts four years
ago and replaced it with sports (!!!!!!) programming. Granted, it was
football and basketball coverage of the university of which they are a part,
but still! They dropped the sports programming within the year because of
the huge uproar from their listeners, but have only this year returned to
programming the Met broadcasts. The letter I sent them when they made that
hideous decision contained some hard numbers from Opera America on the growth
of the opera audience in the US. Amazing to me.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo soprano

emusic.com