Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  3:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Inside--outside confusion

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Robert Harris wrote:
> Today I was dismayed to realize that I have been making what I believe is a
> fundamental error: trying to match how I sound to myself when I sing to
> how operatic tenors sound like when I listen to them singing.

I realize this isn't exactly what you're asking, but there is a school of
thought that says you really shouldn't base your sound on any internal
sensation, whether it is sound or feeling. My teacher thinks the reliance
on feedback is a symptom-based method rather than a cause-based one. To
sing well, she says, everything has to be in place before the sound even
comes out. There is a leap of faith that the sound will automatically be
good (well tuned in terms of pitch and resonance, with a perfect vowel).
It's based on Jane Randolph's notion - "technique is what you need after
you've taken a bad breath".

So I would encourage you not to emulate anyone, inside or outside. Just
sing!

Tako (not a teacher, so take with a grain of salt) Oda

emusic.com