Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 23, 2000  9:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Inside--outside confusion

robert,

i strongly urge you to get a tape recorder and tape everything you do.
play it back immediately so you can see what on the inside equaled what on
the outside.

sometimes i feel sensations of sound that other people feel while
singing are almost as valuable as blind people discussing color ("i feel, as
i go up the scale as if the tone is like a tree growing, growing, growing
until it blossoms into a beautifully produced high note" literally a quote
from a teacher i had the good fortune never to study with. 'what should i
do? throw another log on the fire?). on the other hand, sometimes that is
all that will help. i usually try to direct a student by their sensations
rather than trying to get them to feel what i feel. often, how they
describe a sound is very different from what i would describe.

an interesting thing about tomatis that i don't understand (this is just
from visiting his website)- he says that a voice is incabable of producing a
sound that the ear doesn't hear first and i think he was talking about the
brain understanding the sound as part of hearing. what i don't understand
is the ability to mimic seems to back up what tomatis says and yet, as we all
know, the sound on the inside can be very different from the outside.

what i think is the explaination is that when we mimic someone, we are
imitating the 'actions' of their voice not the timbre. most people who get
imitated have a peculiarity in their patterns of speech or voice production
(ross perot, bill clinton, marlon brando, ethel merman, etc.) and it is these
peculiarities that a mimic is copying not the sound.

mike

mike

emusic.com