Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sat Oct 21, 2000  10:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Vowel Line

Karen Jensen wrote:
'In Sündberg's research on acoustics of the singing voice he explores how the
"Singer's Formant"(around 2800 Hz.) is achieved,  by changing the shape of
the vocal tract. Sopranos: clustering the 3rd, 4th and 5th formant, and
more jaw opening on high notes. All other voice types: widening the pharynx
so that it is 6 times wider than the opening to the laryngeal port.'

Dear Karen and co vocalisters,

Thanks for pointing out that the singer's formant is around 2.8 kHz according to Sündberg. The graphs I attached a few days ago (from Hans Peter Blochwitz and me) showed a clear peak exactly there, which worried me a little at first, because I thought the singer's formant should show at approx. 4 kHz. Have other researchers found the singer's at higher frequency's?

Best greetings,

Dre

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5830 Re: The Vowel Line Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  10/22/2000   4 KB
5838 Re: The Vowel Line Karen   Sun  10/22/2000   3 KB
5867 Re: The Vowel Line Tako Oda   Mon  10/23/2000   3 KB

emusic.com