Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Oct 20, 2000  6:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] REP : Scenes&Pocket Operas

Kevin Hollis wrote:

> Had a first rehearsal (mozart sing
> through) last night with a
> few singers we're bringing together
> to hopefully do some exciting work.
> I'm looking for suggestions for short scenes
> and mini operas that would suit us.
> Accompaniment would probably be piano,
> maybe eight piece orchestra if we were
> feeling brave.

Sounds much like a group I worked with.

I wrote two "updates" of early classical one-act operas which might
interest you. They both have a small cast, are in English and have piano
accompaniment. Both are extremely funny (I know that because I've heard
the laughter)

One is "The Personal Assistant", formerly "La Serva Padrona" by
Pergolesi, needing just a soprano, a bass-baritone and a mute.

The second is "The Agony Uncle" formerly "Bastien und Bastienne" by the
12-year-old Mozart, which needs a young soprano and tenor an older
bass-baritone, an older mezzo and a chorus of young girls who are
reading from magazines, so don't need to memorize their music. I added
the mezzo, the chorus, and three arias from La Finta Semplice, which is
about the same vintage.

We performed them in 1993 and 1994, and again together a couple of years
ago, billed as "Opera for Today". They are on computer in Sibelius
format, or I could print copies for you.

If you're interested, let me know, and I'll try and put together a sort
of sample pack. I would need to charge for them, but I need advice on
how much.

Linda Fox

emusic.com