Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 20, 2000  2:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Vowel Line

In a message dated 10/20/2000 9:36:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kjensen@c... writes:
kjensen@c... writes:

<< New music did the same for me. As an undergrad I was learning a
broad spectrum of rep, but doing the Berio Sequenza and other 20th century
works gave me a unique kind of performing freedom and creative scope. Not
all kinds of 20th century rep calls for this, like Stravinsky who said (in
a TV interview) "Don't do nothingks to my music." >>

Which leads me to copy the last few paragraphs of Schoenberg's preface to
Pierrot Lunaire:

" Incidentally, I would like to make the following comment on the
performance:
It is never the task of the performers to recreate the mood and character of
the individual pieces on the basis of the meaning of words, but solely on the
basis of the music. To the extent that the tone-painting-like rendering of
the events and feelings given in the text was important to the author, it is
found in the music anyway. Where the performer finds it is lacking, he should
abstain from presenting something that was not intended by the author.
Otherwise he would be detracting rather than adding"

Lee Morgan
Mezzo soprano

emusic.com