Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Thu Oct 19, 2000  2:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

Linda wrote:

> Sorry to be blunt about this, but that is 100% wrong. Just nod your head
> - or shrug, or, better still, turn abruptly away - in reply to someone's
> question and then deny you have conveyed emotion but not idea. And why
> does the communication of emotion mean something is not language?

Here goes my definition of language: a STANDARDIZED way to communicate ideas
and emotions. Therefore, according to that definition, music should not be
considered LANGUAGE because it's not standardized. I'll make myself clearer:
you can't be sure the listener will get the ideas and feelings you're
communicating through music. On the other hand, that happens with
standardized words, at least most of the time- it depends on the
speaker/writer and the listener/reader. Of course, you can expect specific
effects from a given harmony and melody, but that is not really language
because it's ( I guess ) not learned, as language is supposed to be-
according to my definition above, of course.
> BTW, I have been aware of body language for many years. And so has every
> psychologist you're likely to meet.

I've never read any scientific research proving body language 'communicates'
as much as psychologist claim it does. Anyway, as a standardized ( although
not widely decodified ) language, it shouldn't be compared to 'musical
language'.

Bye,

CAio Rossi

emusic.com