Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 19, 2000  1:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

linda,

we can call body language and music languages. if we do, we then have
to look at their efficiency. if they are our only options and we wish to
communicate then we have no other choice but to use them. however, compared
to languages that use words, body language and music are inferior as
languages. a bugle call in battle is a more efficient language in its
context. it conveys a message and conveys it in a larger way than yelling
would. btw, my father used to blow mess call on his bugle at supper time
instead of yelling out the front door at us when we were kids (much to our
embarassment).

<< BTW, I have been aware of body language for many years. And so has every
psychologist you're likely to meet.

a cannibal being interviewed by a journalist was asked "what is the
easiest profession ot catch?" the cannibal responded "psychologists". "so
you must eat a lot of psychologist then?" "no, none at all." "none? why
not?" "they may be the easiest to catch but, they are also the hardest to
clean." after the interview, the cannibal ate the journalist.

> the problem with comparing sonata-allegro form to the hegelian
dialectic
> is that in 99% of sonata-allegro movements, the tonic wins.

Why is that a problem? If you read a lot of pulp romances, you already
know who's going to end up together almost at the outset. Does that make
them not language?

it doesn't make them not users of language, it makes them not examples
of the hegelian dialectic.

mike

emusic.com