Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  1:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Ubiquitious AH Vowel

In a message dated 10/18/00 4:55:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
csdonnell@m... writes:
csdonnell@m... writes:

<< In Italian diction study, at least a third of the native American-English
speakers in my classes open /i/ when it is shortened by following double
consonants. Thus "piccolino" /pikko'lino/, becomes /pIkko'lino/. >>

Thus the terms long and short are perfect for conveying and acquiring Italian
diction. I wish my Italian diction teacher had explained it like that.
However, I don't agree that such sounds as [u] in cool or fool should be
referred to as short -- (the upside down v of foot and the schwa, yes)... but
we sustain the "fool" vowel in spoken English. I am forever telling Asian
English students to prolong certain vowel sounds which they have a tendency
to clip short, thus making their English less understandable. That [u] is
one of them.

emusic.com