Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  10:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] re: singing in weddings

Dear co-vocalisters,

In the summer of 1999 three pairs of friends of mine
got married soon after each other.

At the first ceremony nobody sang and I had the
feeling the silence and seriousness of the ceremony
made everybody a little bit nervous.

At the second wedding there were some friends
performing: a nice sounding harmonic pop trio, and a
bad tenor, which was me (I did 'Dalla sua Pace' (Don
Giovanni) and 'mit Würd und Hoheit angetan' from the
Schöpfung/Creation. (Sorry, I don't know the English
title for the aria, I am not even completely sure
anymore about the German one). The audience liked both
the pop and the classical singing, because the people
that sang were friends, and sang for the couple.

At the third marriage many people sang. The bride and
the groom sang, a sister of the groom, and even more
people, plus one of their three tenor friends: a
guy who is a professor of voice somewhere in Vienna.
He sang 'Panis Angelicus'. I think everybody liked
this ceremony, mostly, because it had a very relaxed
and happy atmosphere. But the 'Panis Angelicus' was
not the highlight of the ceremony: the guy did it very
well and he has an excellent voice, but, he sang
(maybe also because of the nature of the piece) in
such a way, that you could not hear that he was doing
something special, or in a special way, for his
friends; it was almost like playing a Pavarotti cd. My
conclusion: in this very special situation, but maybe
always, the intention (of the singer is of paramount
importance

Best greetings,
Dre (who wants to remarry one day, when he has made up
his mind whether to marry a pianist (ideal for every
day) or a soprano (ideal for the ceremony)).