Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  2:52 am
Subject:  Bellini and vocal ornamentation

Dear Vocalisters:

With permission, I'm posting an interesting message sent recently to the Opera
list by its
listowner, Bob Kosovsky, who's a librarian at the NY Public Library for the
Performing
Arts. He reports a recent journal article on the opera composer Belllini's
"self-borrowings". I'm going to put at the top his commentary, which goes to
some
discussion we've had about opera composers and their desire to have words
understood. Most
of us think of the Bel Canto composers as not caring much at all about text,
but this
article sees it differently. At the end of the message is the official
abstract of the
journal article.

Peggy

> Subject: [OPERA-L] Bellini's self-borrowings
> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:35:29 -0400
> From: kos@I...
> To: OPERA-L@L...
>
> The latest issue of that bastion of musicological thought, the Journal of
> the American Musicological Society (JAMS), contains a whopping three
> articles on operatic matters in Mozart, Bellini, and Wagner.
>
> This would have been unheard of twenty-five years ago. It attests to a
> great wave of change in the scholarly community to not only tackle issues
> in operatic literature, but also allowing them to take central attention.
> By having operatic discussions occupy most of the contents of JAMS, the
> editors have modified their usual search for topical diversity by letting
> the authors' range of research methods and techniques be the source of
> variety.
>
> I jumped to the article on Bellini first. Here's the title, author credits,
> and the published abstract (slightly modified):
>
> In Praise of Convention: Formula and Experiment in Bellini's Self-Borrowings
> By Mary Ann Smart

<see the bottom of this message for the abstract>

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com