Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Oct 18, 2000  2:17 am
Subject:  Repertory Questions

> The church for which I work as Soprano Soloist/Section
> Leader would like me to do a special solo for the
> Sunday on which they are celebrating the minister's 20
> years with the church. It needs to be something
> joyous, in English, and pref. 19th/20th century. Any
> suggestions?

You might take a look at Ned Rorem's "Cycle of Holy Songs" (Southern
Music), especially the last two - Psalms 148 and 150. You must have an
able accompanist, especially if the accompaniments must be reduced for
organ. His Alleluia is quite nice too.

>I have a student whose first language is Chinese and
>who would love to sing a song in Chinese. Is there
>such a thing as Chinese art song and, if so, where
>would I find something appropriate?

I have two recordings of Japanese art songs, and I found those by
searching the databases at Amazon.com and tower records. You might try
the same for Chinese. I would avoid the Britten Songs from the Chinese -
musically and vocally too difficult for a child.

>I'd really appreciate any suggestions any of you might
>have regarding good mezzo/soprano duets for
>Advent/Christmas and good English language soprano
>solos for that time of year.

Off the top of my head, you could use the Laudamus te, from the Gloria
of Vivaldi. Good luck.

Best,

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com