Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Ubiquitious AH Vowel

In a message dated 10/17/00 2:41:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< It is not unusual to extend the "AH" category of vowels into the
neutral category of vowels [upside down v], [U], and the [schwa]
because they are often considered as extension of the former.

Yes, especially when delineating a contrast such as when we highlight or
examine a pair of sounds (vowel or consonant) which have similar articulation
but for the difference which forms the contrast. For example, if you are
producing an "r" when you should be producing an "l," you need to
concentrate on touching your tongue to the loof or your mouth... I mean roof
of your mouth. Similarly, with the vowel contrasts, you need to focus on
rounding more, dropping your jaw, relaxing the tongue, or making sure it
curls into the right configuration, for one sound as opposed to the other.
Pairs of words such as "glass and grass" and "beach and bitch" are called
"mimimal pairs."

emusic.com