Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  5:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Ubiquitious AH Vowel

Dear Linda and Vocalisters:

I pronounce the word "Pull" in the normal American way. Miller uses
the work "Nook" for this same vowel which in IPA is written as [U] or
capitol U.

I believe the usual vowel pronunciation for "Dull" is the [upside
down v] as is also found in the word "Fun".

It is not unusual to extend the "AH" category of vowels into the
neutral category of vowels [upside down v], [U], and the [schwa]
because they are often considered as extension of the former.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com