Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  4:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

dre:

<< The monotonous way in which most people speak in the
> countries I first mentioned may sound natural to even
> more people, to deal with matters of love and death it
> is very inappropriate i.m.o. That television and some
> kinds of popmusic have made many people believe
> otherwise is extremely sad, >>

Dre, I believed the word "timbre" you were using (before this quote above)
was referring to the color or resonance of the vocal sound (speech or
singing.) (Forgive me if I've missed something. I've not had the time to
read every post on this thread.) This, however, leads me to believe you are
talking about inflection (or relationship of pitches.) I agree with you
wholeheartedly. The limited range (in both pitch and melodic inventiveness)
of many pop melodies, example "My Heart Will Go On," is a case in point.

emusic.com