Vocalist.org archive

From:  mjmayer@h...
mjmayer@h...
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  2:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Yet more wedding song requests

To List, I just wanted to give my experience. My wife and I were
married three years ago, and at our wedding we chose Schubert's Ave
Maria as the processional because it was a favorite of both of ours.
The Bridesmaids processed during the first verse, then as a surprise
(which only my wife, me, and our paster knew) when everyone turned
around to look at the bride, I started singing "Ave Maria" as she
came down the aisle. Afterward we received many comments about how
wonderful it was. Maybe someone thought it was tacky, but we didn't
and it was very special. What I think is tacky is having untalented
people sing some pop song so poorly it makes everyone there cringe. I
get upset every time I go to wedding and they asked their cousin or
sister or other reletive to sing and they are awful. It's like they
think anybody can sing in a performance just because they can sing in
the car. Singing is like any other profession, people spend years
learning and tuning their craft to make effective presentations of
song. Why would a bride want anything but quality? Now in the rare
case that their relative is a professional singer or has experience
singing for services, that is lucky and they should take advantage of
that. But if not please hire someone who will do a good job.

Michael M.

emusic.com