Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

Dre wrote:

> 1. Most people's speaking timbre, I experience as not
> very aesthetic, and moreover, as unexpressive. That is
> especially true for the American dialect, for my
> native tongue, which is the Dutch language and others.
> German is bit better (although Saxonian and Swabian is
> not that great either), French, Spanish, Portuguese
> and especially Russian is already really better and
> finally there are very good reasons that Italian
> became the language of opera.

Italian became the language of opera for no other reason than that of being
opera originally Italian! You're confusing cause and consequence.

> The monotonous way in which most people speak in the
> countries I first mentioned may sound natural to even
> more people, to deal with matters of love and death it
> is very inappropriate i.m.o. That television and some
> kinds of popmusic have made many people believe
> otherwise is extremely sad, but does not change the
> above mentioned things.

I have to disagree on that too, sorry! English and German and European
Portuguese are stress-timed languages, so they are necessarily less
monotonous than Spanish, French, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese, which are
syllable-timed ones.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com