Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  7:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> i have to disagree with you and others. i don't think, even by kaspar
> hauser's standards, that music is a language. language is designed to
> communicate specific ideas and thoughts.

I think that's rather too narrow a definition. Poetic language is often
very unspecific.

>music does not. in his 'norton
> lectures' at harvard university in the early seventies, leonard bernstein
> made a connection between the formal organization of music and syntax.
> however, it is language's content that communicates the ideas not the
> structure. yes, language really does need structure to organize the
> thoughts into a clear meaning ('stop! don't! is different from 'don't
> stop!") but, structure communicates nothing on its own. and, music's
> content is simply sounds, as in singing- 'ah', 'eh', 'ih', 'oh', 'oo'

If it's still available, try to find and read The Language of Music, by
Deryck Cooke. That has some extremely specific examples in it. And, to
use one myself, how about the structure of discord and resolution that
is almost the main grammatical element of tonal music?

Linda

emusic.com