Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Tue Oct 17, 2000  4:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Singing vs speech + The Ubiquitious AH Vowel + Technology

Robin wrote:

"And if anyone can tell me how to get her to remember the sound of the "i"
in "sit", I'll be eternally
grateful. . ."

And Caio wrote:

"I have the same problem with my English students. Brains 'lose' part of
their abilities to distinguish new sound differences after about 5 years of
age, but if you do the same kind of training you do to develop tone-deaf
students you can help her a lot. I recommend this book: "Manual of American
English Pronunciation", by Practor and ? ( I left it on the bus! ) as the
best one to explain the pronunciation of American English."

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out. Dr. Yvonne Dechance also
sent a very helpful reply, and I'm happy to report that today's lesson was a
turning point in the [ I ] phoneme! (That may not come out right, depending
on how this font looks on your screen, but you know what I mean!

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York