Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 16, 2000  4:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: opera and speech

Dear Lloyd:

I do respect you and your posts very much. But a form of vocalization that
shares nothing in common with any known dialect (even) is reduced to affect
and frankly if you were to produce those vowels in speech the way they are
produced in that form of vocalizing people would wonder if you have
dysarthria or apraxia.

I did not take your comments as being harsh as all. Honestly, I think too
many people on the list are thin skinned. That's why I like your posts and
mike's. I just think an efficient and aesthetically appropriate sound can be
produced without the distortion. Pavarotti is a good example of this to me
(in languages he understands LOL).

In English speaking singers I can understand every word (more or less) of a
range of singers from Battle to Johnny Cash. They may be singing in
different dialects but the vowels are discernible and not reduced to
variations of uh (the schwa vowel), even in the lowest registers which should
resemble speech.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com