Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  2:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] FW: Singing

In a message dated 10/12/2000 4:03:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dlanza@h... writes (quoting):
dlanza@h... writes (quoting):

<< I read your post on the SG list about vocalists and I could tell you know
what you are talking about. I have a question for you, can vocal lessons
make a "bad" singer good? I don't have a good voice. If I took vocal
instructions from a good teacher, could I get a good voice? Or would all
the proper training not do someone like me any good? >>

I firmly believe that there are very few people in the world who really
and truly don't have good voices, or at least acceptable voices. There are a
lot of people out there who have no idea how to use their voices, and so
don't sing well, but that's a very different issue. My advice to this person
would be to talk to a voice teacher, perhaps have them listen to him, and get
an in-person opinion about whether or not the teacher thinks anything can be
done.
In my experience, I've only run into one student who simply could not
sing. She had been in a bad car wreck and had sustained some serious head
injuries, and I think that was probably the problem. I think there was
simply so much damage that everything just didn't work correctly.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com