Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  3:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] opera and speech

I have long been of the opinion that if the music is not the primary element in opera and the theatrical experience is, then we should save the money and send the orchestra home. I will happily accept a portly Rudolpho that fills out the music and thrills the soul rather than a slender "believable" actor who sings enough to get from A to Z. I know that many hold that the trend in opera to make it less ridiculous dramatically is an improvement, however, I am appalled at who get to do the part because s/he fits a pretty costume.

Just an opinion.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2212

emusic.com