Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alexa Wing" <alexawing@h...>
"Alexa Wing" <alexawing@h...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  2:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] FW: Singing

>I have a question for you, can vocal lessons
>make a "bad" singer good? I don't have a good voice. If I took vocal
>instructions from a good teacher, could I get a good voice? Or would all
>the proper training not do someone like me any good?

Like many things, singing is a skill calling on a lot of different things.
If you are with an empathetic teacher who puts your voice on the right road
and helps you to understand your vocal mechanism then you will inevitably
learn to sing like yourself - healthfully. A healthy sound is, to me, a
beautiful one. The trouble starts when people have an idea of how they
'should' sound. In my teaching and in my own study I have found this alone
to be the most paralysing stumbling block. Someone said I sounded like
Marilyn Horne once, so for years I had the idea that I should sound a
certain way, totally ignoring what my voice actually is, a lyric soprano.
In my experience the more I let go, the more my own voice teaches me (with
the help of my amazing teacher Carol Forte -
http://www.interlog.com/~singers).
I would really like to know how exactly your correspondent defines 'good.'
Will he/she suddenly become a fabulous musician if they acquire vocal skill?
Well, of course not. But if all they want is to improve their vocal
quality, they can of course do that easily with a good teacher.

Yours,

Alexa Wing

Visit me on the web:
http://www.interlog.com/~aads/wing/