Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Oct 13, 2000  1:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 24 Italian question...

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> If I am not mistaken, all of the 24 Italian Songs and Arias were
> originally written for men to sing. Even those that are clearly love
> songs to men. Women did not sing in public during the time most of
> these songs were written if my memory serves me correctly.

You think?

Handel, Monteverdi and Gluck certainly wrote for women (e.g., femmes fatales
Cleopatra,
Poppea, & Euridice). And at least one song, Paton thinks, was not "antiche"
but composed
by the original editor (Se tu m'ami, a lady's song if there ever was one).
Perhaps you're
thinking of church music?

Peggy

--