Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 12, 2000  1:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Please let's get the Latin right!

At 10:54 AM 11-10-00 -0600, you wrote:
>buzzcen@a... wrote:
>
> > Well, I was the person who said art was derived or related to artifice and
> > from your description above I still believe it was correct... the
> words are
> > very closely related. Now, can you tell me the latin origin of nitpicky?
>
>nit from "nitus," meaning tiny point; picky from "pictere" meaning stick it to
>'em
>
>(I took 4 years of Latin, so I know!)

Dear oh dear it's so not like you lot to be soooo vitriolic.

I'd like to ask the lady where the stresses lie on two mottos
one of which is the current one, though which is which has yet
to be ascertained.

This is for an anthem, so obviously the stresses are important and I'm so
pleased a scholar has arisen. It's intended for Scotch College in Victoria.

The older one I think is ..Deo Partrie Literas the other is
Deo Partrie Literam : assuming the latter is correct we've
placed the stress is on the li..TE..ram. As I'm no scholar in this
field I would appreciate your assistance so as not to be the one
held responsible for inculcating young minds with unnecessary
errors. Maybe I'm being a bit nit picky too, I don't think so though.

Thanks you, Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5450 Latin pronunciation Sheila Graham   Thu  10/12/2000   3 KB
5451 Re: Latin pronunciation Reg Boyle   Thu  10/12/2000   3 KB
5455 Re: Latin pronunciation John Alexander Blyth   Thu  10/12/2000   4 KB

emusic.com