Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  6:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] opera and speech

lloyd wrote:

<< By vowel line I mean the connection of the vowels (even through the
consonants) such that the musical line is more stressed than the text
itself. For me the result is that the text is more clearly stated
because the intention and direction of the musical line carries the
text.>>

and later wrote:

<< Few opera stories are worthy of
consideration beyond the music they inspired >>

yikes! we are in agreement three times in one day! in the case of
the first statement, we might not agree on the practice but, we do agree on
the principle. as the consonants are basically 'filters' for the vocal
tract, it is possible to continue the vowel while enacting the consonant. a
vocalized consonant will certainly be more easily 'projected' if it has the
vowel line continued behind it. one of my favorite practitioners of this
aspect of technique is tony bennett. at his best, in something like 'a time
for love' or, 'the shadow of your smile', there are times where he sustains
consonants. it is a wonderful nuance that style of music makes possible and
in bennett, there is a wonderful sense of line, even during rests.

in the case of the second statement, i was sorry i ever bothered to find
out what they were singing about.

mike

emusic.com