Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  3:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Please let's get the Latin right!

In a message dated 10/11/00 9:50:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
sheila@s... writes:
sheila@s... writes:

<< For example, it's 'ad hominem', not 'ad hominum'. And as for the person
who told us that art comes from the word artifice.....please! Art is
from the Latin word ars, artis (nominative and genitive cases
respectively) which is generally translated as art. Artifice comes from
two Latin words, the afore-mentioned ars - OK, cue for lots of rude
jokes - and facere, which is normally translated as to make. >>

Well, I was the person who said art was derived or related to artifice and
from your description above I still believe it was correct... the words are
very closely related. Now, can you tell me the latin origin of nitpicky?

Randy Buescher

emusic.com