Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  12:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera singing vs Speech ( or Pop singing ) Was:The r...

In a message dated 10/10/00 10:37:56 PM, RALUCOB@a... writes:

<< lloyd wrote:

<< most
of the ideas expressed seem to more reflect the viewers prejudices
than address the actual elements of the art form. >> >>

Mike, you quoted Lloyd's statement above, then, a few paragraphs later, you
said:

<< 'the' dramatic element??? are you saying "a-ha, that modulation tells
us he is really her brother"? give me a break! aside from the example
cited above and the few like it, the rest is largely a bunch of nice tunes
that are either happy, sad, troubled, etc. about what? who knows. maybe
the second trombone part has the answer.>>

Mike, you prove Lloyd's point very well. In my opinion, the above paragraph
written by you shows that your sole motivation here is to air your own
prejudices toward this particular musical form. I respectfully suggest that
you graciously allow others their preferences, and you are welcome to yours.
The sarcastic tone and condescension in your words is truly unnecessary here.
I feel the same about the sarcasm shown here upon occasion toward other
forms. To me, that is not education -- not a professional sharing of ideas
-- nor particularly enlightening. It is as though some subscribe to the
philosophy that the only way to build up one's self or beliefs is to
denegrate another's.

Respectfully,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com