Vocalist.org archive

From:  stjames <stjames@l...>
stjames <stjames@l...>
Date:  Wed Oct 11, 2000  3:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Picking a School

> You'll probably hear this from other folks but I'll say it anyway. In
> music, the composition or voice teacher with which you study is at least as
> important as the program in which you study. In undergraduate school you're
> learning technique and basic skills upon which you'll build in your later
> years. You'll be learning theory, aural skills, history, etc. which are
> core courses in all programs. It isn't necessary to pay premium prices for
> all this. It actually isn't necessary ever, to pay premium prices for your
> musical education. Find the right teacher - composition or voice - and
> enroll in the school in which this person teaches. Then work diligently to
> learn all you can from these talented teachers and go on from there. Often,
> you'll find that you can get more individualized attention in a smaller
> program. This is certainly worth considering.
>
> regards,
> Cindy Donnell

James here....

Generally one has to inquire with the teacher at a college to see if they
have room in their studio. Falure to do this means you are assigned to
voice teacher, generally the one who has openings. This tends to mean
there is a reason no one wants to study with them. Even excellent .edu's
have bad apples. With voice teachers there is potential to damage you
physically. This is why it is important to know who yon want to study
with.

James

emusic.com