Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  9:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] My Reply to the Fudging Issue

Dear Doris?? and co-vocalisters,

please, pleae tell us more about Axel Shoetz. As a late bloomer tenor I am very much interested.

I know another example, also a tenor: Siegfried Jerusalem. He started when he was approx. 36. (I have to do this by heart) He was a hoboplayer and had been taking singinglessons for a couple of years. When in some operetta the tenor was ill, Jerusalem suggested to sing in his place. It was a succes, so did it more often. When he asked for a leave from his regular job in the orchestra again, his conductor, Celibedache, wanted him to sing for him and after having heard him, Celibedache told him he should become a singer, which he did. He has sung in Bayreuth over 25 years since then, even despite the fact that he smokes a lot.

I have a video where he tells a funny story about his frist high c. He was singing one of his first 'schnabbels' and they recorded Strauss' 'Zigeunerbaron'. The producer told him: 'and at the second 'schwer' you go up to the high c'. Jerusalem had never sung a high c before, and when he tried 'ist nicht schwer, ist nicht schwer' it did not work out and he sang: ist nicht schwer, ist nicht sch......eisse. (is not difficult is not d...shit.) So the producer said happy: great, the first part of the word we already have on tape.

Best greetings,

Dre
emusic.com