Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Oberon603@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 10, 2000  8:55 pm
Subject:  New Rinaldo!!! My thoughts

The New Rinaldo came out today, & I got the first copy out of the box at
theTowers I buy from. I also came to the conclusion that I must be an opera
queen for planning my entire days schedule around the release of this CD, &
my listening to it. It was priced at $53.99 plus tax, but I paid $51 because
the guy gave me a small discount. Even though expensive, it was well worth
the $$$.

"Rinaldo" George Frideric Handel

Goffredo Bernarda Fink Mezzo
Almirena Cecilia Bartoli Mezzo
Rinaldo David Daniels Countertenor
Eustazio Daniel Taylor Countertenor
Argante Gerald Finley Baritone
Armida Luba Orgonasova Soprano
Mago cristiano Bejun Mehta Countertenor
Donna Sirena II Ana Maria Rincon Soprano
Sirena I Catherine Bott Soprano
Un araldo Mark Padmore Tenor

The Academy of Ancient Music
Christopher Hogwood

I'm extremely pleased with my purchase today. On the cover there is a
picture of Daniels in a suit of armor clenching his fist with Bartoli beside
him. Daniels looks extremely butch with his usual trade mark scruffy face.
Bartoli looks very pretty in her silky blue & black costume. Her face also
looks like it slimed down some again. Very nice picture. Hogwood & The
Academy of Ancient Music (complete with sound effects) do a fantastic job at
bringing the score to life. Together they manage to capture ones
imagination, & take them to another time & place. I suppose this couldn't
have happened if it weren't for the all star cast of singers. This type of
combination makes a memorable recording.

The role of Gofferdo was sung by a wonderful mezzo that I have overlooked. I
have heard a lot about Bernarda Fink, but I don't think I own a recording
with her on it. I will have to browse all of my opera CD's to make sure
because this girl is serious. She does a magnificent job in the role of
Goffredo. Fink has it all, perfect coloratura, the birdie trills, crisp
diction, & fierce chest voice. Besides all of that, she has this exciting
tone in her voice that makes you listen. She sang the hell out of "Sorge nel
petto". I think I like her timber better than Poodles. Don't get me wrong I
love Poodles, but this voice sounds more fresh.

Almirena a soprano role was taken by the Italian Mezzo Cecelia Bartoli.
Bartoli was the usual Bartoli, she always sounds great. I was impressed that
she didn't seem like she was trying to out sing David during their duets. In
one duet at the close, you can actually hear Bartoli slightly adjusting her
voice to blend with Daniels. The "Lascia ch'io pianga" started out nice, but
nothing unusually special. However when she went into the B part, & then
sang the di capo, I was melting. It was filled with so much emotion &
anguish; & she did it in the most softest, prettiest, expressive pianissimo
that I have ever heard done in this aria. IM sure she brought the house down
when she sang this in the tour. I like her in this repertoire. She already
showed that she has a good feel for Baroque singing with her Vivaldi CD. I
hear that a Cesare is coming out with her singing Cleopatra. I will
definitely have to watch for that.

Here Daniels sings a fantastic Rinaldo as I had expected he would. He sounds
better & better with each recording. With his trademark coloratura Daniels
manages to match the other singers pound for pound. Kudos David!!! I really
enjoyed his recitatives & duets with the other singers. I also like that
fact that he changed some of the ornaments in the arias that duplicate the
ones on his Handel CD. I think I most enjoyed the arias that are new to me.
IM sure I will have lots of fun singing them. IM really looking forward to
hearing him in this role at City Opera next month. It's going to be a very
glorious day for Kenneth Ealy. (=

Daniel Taylor does a nice job in the role of Eustazio. He has a very
beautiful & expressive voice. Really nice accurate coloratura. The trill
could use a little work, but still decent. The only thing that was missing
for me were a was a touch of chest at the bottom of his range. I think it
would add more character, & more volume to the bottom of his range. In any
event, he gave a solid performance.

Baritone Gerald Finley does a fine job with what he has to sing as Argante.
He's got a really good feel for the Baroque Rep. I would imagine that with a
heavy voice, this stuff would be tough to sing. However he manages to move
his voice around just as fast as the higher ones, & he does it without it
affecting his tone.

Luba Orgonasova does a fine job as Armida. I have not heard to much about
this women, but she sounds nice in this repertoire. I will keep my eye out
for her as well. I love to discover new Baroque singers.

You should have seen the look on my face when I was standing in line at
Towers reading the back of the CD; when I saw Bejun Mehta's name in the cast
I almost keeled over. I had expected David Walker to be playing the Magician
as he did it in that tour they did. In any event, the Magician is a small
role. He only gets one aria, but Bejun sure does sing it well. He skips up
& down the staff with ease, & generously interpolates his very secure trill.
It seems like his trill has gotten better since my other recordings were
made. I wish this guy had gotten a bigger role in this. I have feeling that
we will hear great things from this singer.

Overall, I think this is a great CD. Well worth the money spent. If anyone
is looking for a new good Handel recording, get this, you wont be
disappointed.

Best,
Kenneth Ealy aspiring countertenor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5389 Re: New Rinaldo!!! My thoughts thomas mark montgomery   Tue  10/10/2000   2 KB
5395 Re: New Rinaldo!!! My thoughts Oberon603@a...   Wed  10/11/2000   2 KB
5418 Re: New Rinaldo!!! My thoughts Linda Fox   Wed  10/11/2000   2 KB
5427 Re: New Rinaldo!!! My thoughts Oberon603@a...   Wed  10/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com