Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 9, 2000  9:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Fudging One's Age

In a message dated 10/9/00 7:01:31 PM, dorisopran@a... writes:

<< having been both honest and dishonest as well as employing a number of
behaviors falling into a continuum between the two extremes, and also having
been both pregnant and non-pregnant, let me respectfully suggest to you and
to everyone on the list that that analogy is bogus. >>

I agree that the analogy isn't perfect. But there's a substantial difference
between trying to characterize people as opposed to discrete deeds. Over a
period of time, it might very well be impossible to call anyone completely
honest. We're all human, and there are many temptations (and sometimes valid
reasons) for being less than 100% (sometimes brutally?) honest.

But individual deeds are easier to categorize--and that's what we've been
talking about. Being less than fully truthful in a situation such as a resume
or a contest entry is a dishonest act, no matter what the motivation or how
one might be tempted to rationalize it (the rules are unfair, everyone else
does it, I deserve recognition, I need financial help, I'm better than the
other contestants, etc.).

A better analogy might be speeding. It's against the law, yet we all do it
from time to time, and rationalize our behavior. But that doesn't change the
fact that we've broken the law.

Judy

emusic.com