Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 9, 2000  1:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Fudging One's Age

In a message dated 10/8/00 8:39:33 PM, ihateegroups@y... writes:

<< However, I am already too old to
enter many competitions, as well as a number of young
artist programs, or be eligible for certain
scholarships or other assistance. This is totally
discriminatory, IMO, especially since I know many
younger people who need it much less than I do. >>

On the matter of rules for competitions: Some of this sounds a lot like
whining to me! Who says that the world has to bend its rules to accommodate
you--or me, for that matter? And why should the winner be the neediest?
Shouldn't the results be based on merit? I agree that age limits are foolish
and discriminatory--and some competitions are out-and-out rigged. But whoever
said that life is always fair? We can work to try to change the system, but
that is not what some posters have been suggesting. They are discussing
cheating as though it were an equally valid option.

As one poster stated, it's true that there are lies. Farrar may have lied
about her age to the press (as many have), but that's not quite the same as
lying about your age in an age-restricted competition.

When you enter a competition, you agree to abide by the rules set by the
sponsors. If you lie on your application, you are cheating not only the
sponsors but also the other competitors, and all of the singers who have not
entered because they are over the age limits. If you are found out, the
sponsors have every right to disqualify you--and to expose you to the press
and the industry at large. You haven't really won, and not only because you
haven't played by the rules. You've lost your integrity--with your
colleagues, with the press and with your peers. These are people that you
will encounter again and again--on your way up, and on your way back down.
It's important to have their respect and their good will. I personally think
that cheating is much too high a price to pay.

I believe that if you have ability and dedication, you will have your share
of opportunities. Focus on the opportunities that are legitimately available
to you. Anything else is sour grapes. You don't need to rely on competitions
to make a career, and you certainly don't need to cheat to make it happen.
There's also lot to be said for earning your own way in the world. It
certainly builds character---something you can never have too much of!

Judy

emusic.com