Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Mon Oct 9, 2000  12:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Fudging One's Age

> I find it very sad that anyone would ask
> this question, and also that others should say it
> merits discussion.
> No wonder there is an integrity crisis!

While I think lying is wrong, I can also understand
this person's dilemma and the temptation. I am 31, and
only in the past few months has my voice developed to
the point where I think I could seriously consider a
career as a singer. However, I am already too old to
enter many competitions, as well as a number of young
artist programs, or be eligible for certain
scholarships or other assistance. This is totally
discriminatory, IMO, especially since I know many
younger people who need it much less than I do.

Would I ever forge a birthdate?? This is a question I
have pondered, and have decided not to do based on
principle (I generally try not to lie). However, I do
admit I have been tempted...

I think it was perfectly reasonable for this question
to be raised - the original poster hasn't done it yet,
and is merely considering her options. One of the
great things about Vocalist is the opportunity it
gives us to delve into all issues surrounding singing,
including moral ones, and to get a variety of opinions
:o).

Jennifer