Vocalist.org archive

From:  dclark <DCLARK@r...>
dclark <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Mon Oct 9, 2000  12:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Fudging One's Age

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> This might be a
> great topic for the Classical Singer online forum,
> since there are many, many singers in that
> borderline-age-limit age group there, whereas this
> group (from what I've seen) seems to have a higher
> percentage of singers and teachers over thirty on it,
> who might tend to be slightly more judgemental about
> an issue like this. It is a real issue, though, and
> shouldn't simply be ignored with a blanket statement
> of wrongness -- it ought to be discussed and dealt
> with, rather than simply condemned (which helps no
> one).

Being over thirty has nothing to do with it!
As several have already pointed out, you are either honest
or you are not.

> What are the facts and statistics out there? Teachers
> and judges (for non-Nats competitions) -- have you
> ever caught a student changing their age? Maybe the
> chances of getting caught are slim because, in the
> end, the judges don't really care that much.

Why do you think people don't care? Perhaps you are
projecting your feelings onto others. I know lots of people
who care very much about whether or not a person has
integrity. I find it very sad that anyone would ask this
question, and also that others should say it merits discussion.
No wonder there is an integrity crisis!

--
|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair, Music Department
| Rhodes College, 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
| 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com