Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  1:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: We're losing our rights - update (long)

--- Linda Fox <linda@f...> wrote:
Is it the composer, the performer, the producer or the
record company itself that loses out through these
less primitive methods?

ANSWER: all of them!
(Well, there are a few restrictions concerning dead
people, but in case you want to have some profit from
your work, it is easier to stay alive anyway!)

> who is profiting unfairly from
> the labours of those who should themselves be
> getting paid?

ANSWER: mp3.com, napster etc, and last but not least,
all those little sinners like we, that sometimes are
tended to copy a cd rather than buying one, or in this
case, downloading the music and putting them on a cd,
or downloading them directly to a mp3 player.
This happens mostly with popmusic, but it is also bad
for classical music, because the recording industry
more or less needs the popmusic money to be able to
keep their classical branches financially healthy.

Of course no government of a democratic country can
control what individuals do, when it comes to taping
or copying cd's etc. And evenso it is not that bad if
a few people do things like that sometimes. But
meanwhile it has become a big problem, because
nowadays millions are doing this, and record companies
and artists are loosing big money. When it comes to
stopping companies that earn money by offering access
to music people want to copy illegally, a law like the
one discussed can be of great importance.

Furthermore this law should in no way bad for smaller
record companies that offer their cd's via Internet.
In the long run it even will be better for them,
because otherwise from the day they will have a cd
that sells really well, they will suffer from the
illegal copy activities just like the big record
companies, but without the money to take legal action
etc.

Best greetings,

Dre

5232 Re: We're losing our rights - update (long) Tako Oda   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB

emusic.com