Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Oct 6, 2000  12:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Dead Man Walking Premiere at SFO

I have been very interested in this project from the beginning, not only
because of Graham and von Stade's involvement or the
begs-operatic-treatment story, but mostly because of the composer, Jake
Heggie. Tina--are there any tunes in this opera? Heggie is capable of
writing so well for the voice, I would hate to see him fall into the
common modern pitfall of composing three hours of johnny-one-note
recitative. Tell me it ain't so, Tina, tell me it ain't so! Seriously, I
would love to hear more about this production.

Mark Montgomery

P.S. And does the opera have as strong an anti-capital punishment theme
as the book and film?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 ODivaTina@a... wrote:

> I just got home from the orchestra dress rehearsal of this opera.
> It is FANTASTIC. Truly. What a thrill to see the premiere of a piece that
> is so gripping and compelling. Opera as theater! Go see it if you live in the
> Bay Area. Everything is worth seeing and hearing; the music, the production,
> the singers, the acting.
> Yes!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
5214 Re: Dead Man Walking Premiere at SFO Melinda   Fri  10/6/2000   3 KB

emusic.com